Wednesday, October 3, 2007

breaking habits.

Habits are hard to break. It's no secret. That's why half of America is addicted to cigarettes and are tiping more and more into obesity. Whether it be food, a drug, or just a feeling that takes effort to achieve...it's hard to let go of things that one knows are wrong. Somehow emotional or physical pain can be ignored just to have that euphoric feeling for an hour, a day or years, which in that duration may be a bad thing.

But really...what does it take to realize that somethings need to be let go to fully enjoy yourself and not live with guilt?

For example, I love chocoloate. It's so good. I really believe it's one of God's way of saying...'you are blessed.' It sounds crazy, but after a long day...a piece of chocolate cake, a cup of hot chocolate, or just solid chocolate can soothe just about anything that is going on. However, chocoloate gives me mind-blowing headaches. Aching, pounding, throbbing headaches. When I see chocolate, my mouth waters, but I prepare myself to endure a pretty much guraunteed headache. What makes me readily accept pain that I know will indefinetly come? I'm still so attached to the feeling of the rich, smooth taste, that I'm willing to take it down with two Aleves.

Luckily, I've never been addicted to any substance that could harm my physical health. But I do know there are feelings that cause a person to literally bend in physical and emotional pain. I can attest...but I'll save that for another post.

I do have habits that I do think could be left at the curb...but sometimes I feel like without them, I just couldn't and wouldn't be me. Is it worth my mental health?

In the mean time, I'll just keep Aleve in business.

No comments: