Wednesday, February 27, 2008

what's new

To Editor:
As a faithful reader of the (UNCC's) University Times, I anticipated see what the paper would offer in terms of Black History Month. In the past seven issues, there has been possibly one article. I know UNCC has a rather small African-American population, but there are many organizations that thrive despite the small numbers. Numerous sororities and fraternities are on campus as well as other groups that have an impact on the school. I find it hard to believe that no African-American staff member, or anyone in the school's history had a prominent role in making the school what it is today. I did however see in a previous issue earlier this month that your staff did take time to write: a commemorate, "in memoriam" of a raccoon on campus. In the same issue, a member of your staff bashed the "National Black HIV/AIDS Day" despite the appalling stastics, that she will probably never be able to relate to. Although there were not many, there were programs on campus offered by BSU and other organizations that brought notice to Black History. None of which you covered. In case you thought no one noticed your lack of coverage, it was very apparent.



Response:

It wasn't an intentional slight, by any means. We've had some people quit in recent months and right now I'm working as Viewpoint Editor & News Editor, in addition to EIC. With this and my other job, honestly, a lot of these events on campus just slipped my mind. I do appreciate you taking time out to read our paper and apologize for the offense. Hopefully we've got the problems solved now, so something like this won't happen again. If there is anything that you'd like to see us cover, just shoot me an email and let me know. That's what I'm here for.

whatever. I feel kinda like a punk for submitting it anonymously, but...


Today I am grateful for:

  • The beautiful sun that awoke me this morning, although I want to live in my dream for about 15 more minutes.
  • Finally having roommates who actually care and notice my presence.
  • Knowing that I have warm, comfortable house to go to very soon.
  • My newly acquired ability to stop worrying so much.
  • Algebra's new CD, "Purpose." As far as Erykah's "New Amerykah"...i'm trying.
  • Having the pre-sale code for Kanye West tickets.
  • Advil to cure this head-rattling headache I'm nursing.

3 comments:

Honey Child said...

LOL... I can't help but to laugh after I saw that you actually wrote that yourself...you're a mess! But hey...it had to be said!

Love u!

kit von b. said...

i'm so glad u spoke up girlie. u have a voice, and u used it! u weren't a bitch about it either...u were respectful and very eloquent, and look @ the response. you truly are the illest.

u dont like new amerykah? really? i didn't hear it yet...

-karrie b.

Niki McNeill Brown said...

yay for speaking up sis!
see u tomorroooooww!! :)